When you’re losing (or have already lost) your hair, it’s easy to get down in the dumps. But wearing wigs or toppers should not be a source of distress! Despite the wig-induced headaches you may experience, there are some serious perks to wearing supplementary hair… sometimes all you need is an extra reminder that you’re in this special “clan” with some awesome benefits not everyone gets to experience.
Without further ado, here’s my top 20 list of perks…
1. Being able to go blonde without worrying about bleaching, damaging your hair or ending up with orange hair. You just pick out the perfect blonde wig and that’s it!
2. On that note, being able to try out any hair color whatsoever with no commitment and no worries about damage or not liking it. Blue hair? Go for it… just for today.
3. For those of us with thinning hair: Not having to use half a container of Toppik on your head every day. That stuff is expensive.
4. Being able to switch from long hair to short hair in an instant, no commitment, without worrying about how long it will take to grow back!
5. Knowing that your hair looks thick and awesome, and not worrying about people staring at your scalp. My scalp doesn’t see the light of day anymore!
6. If you wear a synthetic: what’s hair styling again? You can just plop the wig on and go! Serious time saver in the morning, especially compared to pouring a whole container of hair concealer on your head and taking an hour to part your hair in just the right way so you don’t look as bald.
7. If you wear HH (human hair): curling your hair is a heck of a lot easier when it’s NOT on your head. Thank you, wig stands!
8. Wearing a wig/topper enables you to have nicer hair than you’ve EVER had in your entire life! Not all ladies have that opportunity. (Granted, women can wear wigs and toppers even if they don’t have hair loss, but let’s be honest… they generally don’t, with a few exceptions.)
9. Remember those days when you had to shower in the morning because if you slept on your super-thin hair, it would look like crap and be impossible to style in the morning? Say hello to showering at night and sleeping in!
10. All of the amazing ladies you have probably met through this journey in online support groups.
11. Having a permanent solution for your hair loss often makes it easier to accept. You don’t have to keep trying to fix it when you have already come up with a solution. Finally, you can have peace.
12. You can do fun things with your wigs, like have your boyfriend/husband model them for you (mine in particular looks like Jesus when he does this) or put your topper on your cat.
13. The excitement of getting your new wig/topper in the mail! There are truly no words for this feeling.
14. Only having to wash and style your “hair” every couple of weeks.
15. Defying your hair’s natural texture. Naturally curly but always wanted straight hair? It can be yours with no heat damage or blow outs.
16. You can go somewhere in disguise. Don’t feel like talking to anyone when you go out to walk the dog? Put on some sunglasses and your long dark brown wig. If the neighbors know you as a blondie… you’re safe!
17. Getting to try fun and fancy shampoo/conditioner/styling products on your wig, when you were probably very limited in what products you could use on your own hair.
18. Likewise, trying styles on your wig and topper that never would have worked with your bio hair (braids, pony’s, updos, half-up-dos…)
19. Our journey and the fact that we wear helper hair means we are unique and powerful women who have been through a struggle and conquered it! It’s a unique aspect of ourselves that makes us special.
20. Having gone through this struggle means you are able to help other people and share your experiences to help others feel less alone!
What are the positive aspects you look to for inspiration about your situation when you’re feeling down about your hair loss? Share in the comments below!